Tuesday, May 11, 2010

GRADUATION!!!

When I started graduate school, I had no idea what the next TWO years would entail. I knew it would be tough planning a wedding, fulfilling assistantship responsibilites, and going to school full time; and I'm not going to lie, it was. Very tough, to be exact. I think it might have been a little tougher than I expected. Most of my days consisted of classes and clinic ALL day long nonstop, then when I would get home at 5 or 6 (after an hour drive back to Birmingham), I would eat dinner then spend all night doing homework. However, I don't think I realized how much I would grow in such a short two years.

I had the BEST class ever. We were all so similar in so many ways and we got along great. It made going to school "fun." We all knew what each other was going through and because of that we all had a special bond with each other. We also spent a LOT of time with each other so we got to know each other on so many levels. Now, I will say that our class was made up of the biggest group of overachievers I have ever met.. haha.. Seriously. We were all so anal about everything..But, honestly I think that was a good thing. We all kind of pushed each other to do better. It was just such an awesome group of girls, and one guy (Yay Heath!). I am just so glad that I was able to be a part of this group. I know I will continue to be great friends with many of those girls throughout my life and my career, and for that I am so thankful.

Montevallos speech program was absolutely WONDERFUL. I seriously can't speak highly enough about it. The professors were SOO personable and so genuinely interested in each student. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect at first. I remember battling between the decision to stay at Auburn for graduate school or going to Montevallo. I chose Montevallo mostly because I was tired of having a long distance relationship with Ben, and Birmingham was kind of a central location for both of us. I remember worrying about what it would be like to go to such a "small school in the middle of nowhere." Now, I can honestly say choosing Montevallo was by far the BEST decision I have ever made. I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOVED it. Even sooo much better than Auburn. Don't get me wrong, I loved Auburn. It was great for an undergraduate degree. But, for graduate school, it was so much better being at a smaller school where the teachers really were more than just your teacher. They really took the time to get to know you and to interact with you on more of a personal level. I also remember thinking it might be a little easier since it was smaller....Boy, was I wrong. haha It was tough. But I feel like I got such a great education there and really feel prepared (well as much as I can be, Its still scary!!) for a real job.

So with all of that said, its hard to believe that these two years are over. I truly did love my time at Montevallo and I know I will remember these last two years forever. Don't get me wrong, I am VEEEERRRY excited to have graduated. It was kind of a bittersweet feeling. I'll miss the professors and my class, but the thought of reading another research article right now, studying for another test, writing another paper, completing more case studies or projects.... that all just makes me feel sick. It feels SO good to be done. Not to mention I can actually start getting some $ for what I do. Woo hoo!!
Soo all in all, thank you to everyone that has supported me throughout these past two years! I know it was filled with ups and downs, and I don't think I could have survived without the support from my family and friends... so thank you!!

Here are some of the pictures from graduation day. Enjoy!
This first one is actual of me with two of my professors at a Halloween social that we had at Superior Grill here in Birmingham my first year of graduate school. I just thought it was only fitting to add this picture to this post. Don't they look like so much fun?

This next one is of the cupcakes I found sitting on our table when I got home from graduation practice on Friday..Ben had made them. Isn't that sweet? And yes... they were all gone by Monday. That is kind of sad that we ate that many so quickly, but they were delicious!
These next two, are two of my favorite pictures!!
Don't you love our Master's stoles? We sure did!!
And here is most of our class, minus a few. I love these girls!!

And here is me and Erin in the next picture. We battled the whole wedding planning + graduate school together. We also lived together that first year of graduate school before the weddings. I am SO thankful for that year. I think we helped each other out tremendously. My favorite memory is lying on her floor one night, at 2 AM still working on our HUGE group project that was due the next day. It was suppose to be a 50 minute presentation... I remember we were exhausted and we kept going in circles about what we were doing. I remember taking several "snack" breaks and often getting off subject and laughing throughout the night. It made for a long night, but somehow we managed to get it done, and even got a good grade!

I guess thats it for now! I did have some pictures of my dad and grandfather sleeping on my couch, but I can't get them to load right now. They both passed out the second we got back to my apartment after lunch. I guess I don't blame them, they did get up at 3 AM to make it to Montevallo in time. My mom and grandmother were the tough ones though, they didn't sleep and instead stayed up with me looking at old pictures etc. I was so glad they all came!

Hope you all are having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter