Thursday, June 10, 2010

Back on Track... The Beach

So with Honey passing, I kind of got a little off track with updating. I'm doing much better dealing with the loss of Honey, but I'm dreading going home this weekend because I'm afraid the sadness will resurface. We will see!

But now on to more happier thoughts. For Memorial Day weekend Ben and I, along with our friends Whitney and Brian, headed down to Sandestin, Florida. My parents have a condo down there in the Resort and it is amazing. If any of you have never been there, you definitely should go. Our condo is actually on the bay side, and it is a part of the village. There is a shuttle that takes us over to the beach side though! At the village, there are tons of restaurants, shops, bars, candy stores..you name it, its there. Theres tons of stuff going on out there too. They recently added a zipline and there are those huge trampolines that you sometimes see in the mall where you bounce really high. They also had two HUGE blow up clear balls that you could get inside and run on the water. We didn't get a chance to do it, but it looked so cool! It's just such a happening place down there. Not to mention as part of the resort, you can rent bikes, canoes, paddle boats, or jet skis. The girls can go to the spa while the guys play a round of golf on an awesome course. It is just absolutely beautiful down there too. There is just so much to do and its all so convenient. It's perfect for all ages too..We just love it down there! Can you tell?

We were only there for a few days but we managed to squeeze in a lot of fun. It did seem to rain almost every day, but luckily it didn't last long and we were able to get in some sun time.
This picture was taken Pre-Any sun at all. That would explain why both of us are so pasty and white that its almost blinding! haha

I spent most of my time reading this book..


I haven't read for fun since...well gosh, I can't even remember when. I heard a friend talking about this book and decided I would get it for the beach. Usually, when I start to read, I get so sleepy and I end up taking a nap. That was my plan for this book as well. I thought I would read a little on the beach, get good and sleepy, then take a nap out there... Wrong! I could not put this book down. It was SO good. I read constantly. I'm serious. I don't think I was any fun for anybody else because all I wanted to do was read. Even when we would go back inside to rest and shower before dinner, I would read inside. I ended up finishing it in 4 days! If you like to read, you should definitely go and get it. It is soo good!

We did a lot of eating! Unfortunately, I do not like seafood... at. all. I have tried it many times, but my taste buds just will not approve. Thats one of those things I wish I liked because it would make going to the beach even more exciting, but I guess I can't help it. Everyone else did get their fair share of seafood though, and I just stuck to chicken, steak, or pasta!


One night we wanted to go out to eat somewhere away from the village so that Whitney and Brian could find some crab legs. We stopped at one restaurant (now I can't remember the name), and they didnt have crab legs and really didn't have a lot of non-seafood for me to choose from, so we thought we would continue on. We decided we wanted to go to Harry T's, but none of us really knew where it was. I called my dad and he gave me an idea of how to get there. We drove forever, in HORRIBLE traffic. We ended up not even finding it and decided to turn around and go back to Joe's Crabshack. Turns out we were probably a few feet away from Harry T's when we turned around. If we had just kept going a little ways, we would have seen it. I think we were all just so frustrated because it was taking so long and we didn't want to waste any more time looking. Literally, 2 HOURS later.. we made it to Joes. We were all kind of delirious at that point because we had been in the car for so long and it had been such an ordeal to find a place to eat. We were laughing pretty hard at everything. We didn't even end up eating until 10 o'clock that night. It was good food though and we had a good time, so it was worth it! It made for good memories too! But, thats just one more good thing about eating at the resort Village... you don't have to fight all the traffic!
.
We did manage to make our way to the Track one night. I use to go there all the time when I was little, but since I've gotten older, we just never go. It was nice to go again, although the prices are OUTRAGEOUS! I think we payed like $12 just for 4 tickets. That may be why I never go anymore. Our four tickets only allowed us to ride go carts ONE time (It cost 2 tickets to ride!!) That was it. Luckily, I got on a go-cart that went SUPER fast. I seriously passed almost everyone on the track. Ben got a go-cart that went SUPER slow. haha I laughed soooo hard at him. He looked miserable and mad at the world because he was going so slow. He was just poking along while EVERYONE else passed him by. It was hilarious! I really liked the track though! If we had had more time, I would have liked to play putt putt. Maybe we will add that to the list of things to do next time!

We went inside and played a lot of arcade games. That was pretty fun and entertaining. Brian decided to play "Deal or No Deal" and he won 400 tickets!!! We all screamed so loud, you would've thought it was real money.
He and Whitney ended up giving their tickets away to a little kid so that he could pick out a prize..their prizes were pretty weak. I played Deal or No Deal after him and only won like 7 tickets.. haha Just my luck.

The last night we decided to eat dinner at a kareoke bar down at the village. It was a lot of fun. I love kareoke bars. They always sing such fun songs and its nice to just be able to sit down and listen to the music. Not to mention the food was delicious!


On Tuesday we packed up to head home. Let me just inform you, I do NOT know how to pack light. That is something I really struggle with. haha You seriously would have thought I was staying at the beach for a month. I probably had enough stuff to thats for sure. Our car was completely full. We even had to put some stuff under our feet. Next time, I'll try to consolidate more and only take what I know that I will need. I just didn't know what I was going to want to wear so I took it all..haha Bad Idea.
.
We went and ate breakfast at Another Broken Egg down in the village. That is kind of a tradition my family always does. It use to be that the Village was the only place that had that restaurant. Now they have them in Birmingham and Huntsville, but I only like to eat it at the beach. It makes it more special. On our way home we stopped at the outlets and shopped for a while. I did not find anything except for a caramel apple! Can you believe it? It seems like every time I go shopping with plans and money to buy things, I never find anything. The times I dont have the money and don't need to buy anything, I find a lot of stuff. Funny how that works out...oh well.

Overall, it was a great trip. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed being able to get away for a little while. We are so glad that our friends Whitney and Brian were able to join us! Hopefully we will make this a tradition every Memorial Day weekend! I'm looking forward to going again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter