Thursday, November 4, 2010

Our Little Miracle

Wow, it has been a couple of weeks of emotional ups and downs to say the least. For those of you that don't know why, here is the story.

About two weeks ago, I started having some spotting one night. To say I panicked is an understatement. I was terrified. I called my doctor (who I've used for the last 3 years and have always loved, but hadn't been to yet for the pregnancy). I couldn't get through to the nurse. I didn't want to wait, as I had already previously been frustrated another day when I was put on hold for 9 minutes (yes I timed it!!) to ask a question. Who puts people on hold for that long?!? Anyway, so since I couldn't get through, I called another doctor who told me to come to the office first thing in the morning.

In the morning, I had stopped spotting but still wanted to go just to make sure. The doctor did an ultrasound and didn't see a baby. I had a gestational sac and yolk sac, but no fetal pole. She said it was 1 of two things: it was just too early or there was abnormal growth and we would have to schedule a d&c.

I left feeling very discouraged and upset, but still had a glimpse of hope as I knew it was still pretty early, and I was anxious to hear the results from my bloodwork to see if that was still on track. We were told to wait a week, and then go back for another ultrasound. We later heard that day, that my HCG levels were good, so we still had a glimpse of hope.

During that week of waiting, I had my original appointment with my actual doctor. Although she is a doctor in Birmingham, I had the appointment in Cullman at one of her satelite offices. I was frustrated because I didn't even see the doctor. A mid-wife met with me. I told her what had happened previously and she was very pessimistic to say the least. My doctor then walked in and wasn't encouraging at all, or polite, or compassionate, or all of those things I really needed at the time. Now don't get me wrong, yes I want them to be upfront with me, but I would expect an element of tactfulness...and that just wasn't there. She ended up sending me for an ultrasound...all the way back in Birmingham. So my mom and I headed that way, both feeling scared and sad, but hopeful while expecting the worst based on what the doctor had just told us.

However, we got there and Ben was able to leave work for a little while to join us. I went right back for the ultrasound and this is what she saw......
I know that looks like nothing to you, but to me its a miracle!! Believe it or not, thats a tiny baby with a beating heart!! Instantly the ultrasound tech said "I see a healthy fetal pole with a healthy heartbeat!" My mom and I both burst in to tears immediately. The tech then showed it to us and we saw the heart beating on the screen with our very own eyes.. it was soo relieving.

I am only 6 1/2 weeks along...so I was off on my calculations a little, which I guess would explain why we didn't see it the first time. My due date is June 26. I've been feeling pretty good lately. I have had a few days where I have been pretty nauseous and a couple of nights where I haven't been able to eat dinner, but other than that it's all going great. Please continue to keep us in your prayers, as I know it is still very early. I have had a little cramping lately, and of course every little pain I feel worries me. haha I'm just not good at this pregnancy stuff haha...

So after all of that, I have decided to search for a new doctor. Although my old one is nice , I just dont think we are a good match. I am actually going to a couple of new ones next week, and will hopefully find one I like. But, for now, I'm shopping for doctors! haha

So there you have it! We are thrilled that everything is going well at this point! Ben, though shocked at first, is actually excited now too. He came home with Blue and Pink cupcakes the day after we saw the heartbeat.

Thank you to everyone that has been praying for us! Keep it going you prayer warriors!!

2 comments:

  1. Aww love this post..you'll have to save that picture forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that it looks like things are on track. Praying for y'all and sweet baby Adams!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter