Saturday, August 31, 2013

Beach Part 2

After a day at the beach all the little cousins took a bath together. They loved splashing and playing together!  
 The next day my brother, Tiffany, and Cole had to head back home for work.  Since they were planning to come back for the actual Fourth of July, they let Abby stay to hang out with us.  We walked around the village and tried to rent some bicycles to ride, but since it was such a busy week full of tourists, all the bikes with kiddie seats attached were already rented.
 We at least got to squeeze in a little time at the pool....It wasn't raining for once!

Ellie even got to join us down by the pool for a little while...she helped keep a watch on Mary Hyatt while she napped! :)
 We practiced a few cheerleading stunts...because that is what you do at a pool, right? haha

That night we went to eat at one of my favorite places in the Village called Rum Runners.  I think the food is great and I love the atmosphere.  They have dueling pianists which I could sit and listen to for hours.  Abby enjoyed coloring her menu while we waited on the food!

 The next morning to woke up to pouring rain.  Luckily, I had packed a huge bag full of toys so the girls had plenty to entertain themselves with.  They even enjoyed building a fort!

 A little after lunch time, my mom and Kayli arrived at the beach! Since it was still pouring down rain, we decided to make a trip to the outlets.... along with EVERY. SINGLE. other person in Destin.  It was insane. Every store was packed and lines for dressing rooms and to pay were at least thirty people deep.  It was not enjoyable..especially with a two year old who doesn't have a lot of patience.  Not to mention, we got totally soaked!!
 We ate somewhere quick that night and then headed back to the room to wait for my brother, Tiffany and Cole to come get back to the beach.  We walked around the village again and then headed to the room hoping and praying for sunshine the next morning.

Unfortunately, when we woke up, it was pouring down rain..again.

Since it wasn't lightening/thundering, we decided we were going to make the most of it and would head down to the pool to swim in the rain. 

At first, we were the only ones there, but after an hour or so tons of people had joined us and were swimming in the rain.  I guess everybody had had enough of being cooped up in their rooms for several days.  The water was freezing, but the little kids had fun!

 At about lunch time, we found out that the resort as well as all of the beaches in the area had cancelled the fireworks show that night due to weather.  We were all totally bummed.  After some thought and repeatedly looking at the radar which showed constant rain for the next several days, we decided to pack up and leave Destin and head to Fairhope, Alabama where my brother lives.

We got there around 6 that evening and were so happy that it wasn't raining! We had just enough time to grill hamburgers and light some sparklers before heading to the pier to watch Fairhope's firework show.

 It actually ended up being a great show and it was beautiful to watch over the water.
The next morning, guess what we woke up to?  Rain! ugh!  We ended up just packing all of our stuff and heading home a couple days early.  I was so bummed the whole ride home. Our week at the beach definitely didn't go as we had hoped it would but I am still so thankful for the time that we did have to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and I always love getting to spend time with family regardless of what we are doing. We were able to make some memories and I'm sure will look back at this trip and laugh one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter