Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

So, I have always disliked Valentine's Day. (Not quite the way you would think this post would start, huh?) I've just never really understood it. I mean, who needs a special day to tell the people that you love, that you love them? Shouldn't we do that every day? It has just always seemed like a holiday where I've heard all the girls that are single sulk and complain because they don't have a valentine, or , on the other hand, all the girls with a valentine complain because their special someone didn't quite do what they had hoped for. I just don't get it. To me, I would rather have my valentine do sweet and special things for me on random days when I least expect it and he actually means it, not on a day when he is "suppose to" because it's Valentine's Day. Just a random thought. Nonetheless, although I don't like the idea of Valentine's Day, Ben and I still try to do a little something to celebrate. However, everything that we did wasn't anything out of the ordinary. We typically do this kind of stuff almost every weekend. So sit back and relax, because this might be a long post.
Earlier this week while grocery shopping at Publix, Ben found two HUGE steaks that were on sale for a great price. We LOVE to grill out so we just bought them and knew we would cook them eventually. This weekend, because the snow had us trapped inside our apartment, we figured it was the perfect time to cook. We had the best meal ever. It was delicious. I don't know why it was so good, but it was the best meal I've had in a while. All we had was steak, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. Here is a picture of Ben over the grill... This is one of his favorite things to do, and I must admit, he is pretty good at it!

Check out the finished product. YUMMY!!
Oh, I forgot to mention the rolls. If you look between the asparagus and mashed potatoes, you see a cheesy roll!! They are called Cheddar Bay Biscuits. They taste EXACTLY like the rolls you eat at Red Lobster. They are soo easy to make and are so tasty! I'll try to post the recipe later this week for any of you that are you interested. I promise you would be pleased!

After dinner, we decided to roast marshmallows over the grill to make s'mores. Anyone that knows me knows that I love s'mores. It was so much fun!


Earlier this week, I was looking through some of my cookbooks and ran across a recipe for Red Velvet Cookies. I found this recipe in a cookbook that a friend had made for me and Ben as a wedding gift. It is such a great cookbook. She put all of her favorite recipes with some of her own pictures in the book; it was such a thoughtful and personal gift that we use often! Anyway, when I saw the Red Velvet Cookies, I thought they looked like the perfect treat for Valentine's Day, so I decided to make some to take to our friends. I made a LOT of cookies...
Then filled them with icing.

Don't you just want to take a big bite out of this?!?
Then I put them in a container, tied the ribbon around them,

and added this little card. Don't you think they turned out cute?!

Ben and I delivered them to a few of our friends that live close to us. We even had some left over so we have been eating them like crazy...which is kind of bad, because I think we may both gain 5 pounds before this weekend is over. But, they are really yummy...so I guess it will be worth it!!

And, to end this weekend, we had some of our favorite people, Whitney and Brian, drive from Decatur to go out to eat with us. We all went to Brio and had a fabulous dinner. Ben and I always love when we get to hang out with them! It's always so much fun! Thank you Whitney and Brian for driving all the way here!
And that concludes our weekend. Whitney and Brian just left, and Ben and I are just sitting here on the couch watching tv and blog "writing." For someone that really doesn't like or understand Valentine's Day, it sure was an eventful weekend for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter