Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christen Adams, M.S. SLP-CFY

Thats the way I've been signing my name lately on all of the medical paperwork at MY NEW JOB!! I love having those little letters after my name! :) I know I'm kind of a dork, but it really does make me feel proud!

I absolutely LOVE my job. I am actually working at a skilled nursing facility in Cullman, Alabama called Woodland Village. Yes.. I do have to drive to Cullman every day from Birmingham, but honestly the drive hasn't been bad at all. It only takes me about 50 minutes to get there and I'm going against the traffic so it's an easy drive! Some people around Birmingham sit in traffic for that long on their way to work, so I think I'm doing pretty good to actually be moving the whole time! I have only been working for about 2 1/2 weeks now, so I still have a lot to learn but I really like the whole team that I work with. Everyone is so helpful and super supportive in helping me get adjusted to this facility and setting in general.

I seriously feel so blessed that this position just landed in my lap when it did. I had actually been interviewing for a few positions right outside of Birmingham and all of them ended up hiring someone "with experience that was already certified." (For those of you that don't know, after completing a masters in speech path, you have to complete a clinical fellowship year (CFY). It's a period of 9 months where I am on my own and can get paid!!, but I have to have a supervisor to periodically observe and mentor me etc. When this time period is up, I'll be eligible to be a certified speech pathologist...yea, I know, it's a long process.) So needless to say, after 3 places ended up hiring someone already certified, I started to get frustrated and wondered, "How am I suppose to get certified if I can't complete my CF year?" About that time I started having a few calls from other places wanting to schedule interviews. I actually interviewed at a place in Talladega and received an offer. I was so excited to have an offer that I almost took it instantly. I am now so glad that I didn't. I ended up asking her if I could have a week to make my decision. During that week, I got a call from someone wanting to set up an interview in Cullman. I went on the interview and of course LOVED it, but was afraid they wouldn't be able to make a decision before I had to accept/decline my other offer. Luckily, they only had one interview after me, and they were able to make a decision quick enough to offer me the job the next day!

It was an easy decision for me as to which one to take: Cullman or Talladega. I new I loved the facility in Cullman better, felt like I got to meet more of the team there and loved them, and I loved that my CF supervisor would be working right there with me. I also loved the location of Cullman much better than Talladega. They are both the same distance from Birmingham, but Cullman is so much better for me personally since it's halfway in between Birmingham and Decatur and I can drive to work from either place easily. For instance, when Ben was out of town last week, I stayed with my parents in Decatur a few nights and was able to get up and drive to work each morning. The Talladega position was offering a little more money and they were all very sweet during the interview, but Cullman just had sooo many more benefits to me and I am so thankful that I was given this opportunity.

Ben and I had been praying about my job search each night, but neither of us had a clue where I would end up. There were definitely nights/days where I felt discouraged and very inpatient, and wondered if and when something was going to work out. Now that its all over, I realize that the whole process was part of God's plan. I know that some of those other positions didn't work out because thats not where I was suppose to be. He made this Cullman job open up in perfect timing because if it had been a day later, I probably would have already accepted the Talladega job. He really gave me a sense of peace in accepting the Cullman job and turning down the other one, and now I couldn't be happier with my decision. I think thats something that I have to remind myself all the time. I can easily get very inpatient and want things to happen on my own timing. I have to remember that God can see the bigger picture and has a great plan set out for me, and I just have to wait and trust in him to make things happen the way they are suppose to.

So, as for now, I love my new job! Not to mention I got my first paycheck this weekend.. it was only for my first 3 days of work, but it felt so good!! I actually look forward to going to work everyday...speaking of work, I should probably be getting to bed soon!! I promise to update again soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter